Forest Report, Spring 2011, by Forest Manager, Gerri Finn.

For matters concerning scheduling a group event or other Boggs Mountain State Demonstration Forest questions, please contact the forest manager at:
707-928-4378 or gerri.finn (at)

Permitted Activities at BMDSF

BMDSF is open for public recreation including camping, biking, horse riding, hiking, hunting and target shooting. With the exception of areas undergoing active timber operations, all of the 3493-acre forest is open for public access. BMDSF also permits the collection of a wide range of non-timber forest products for personal and small-scale commercial use.

Camping in state forests is restricted to designated camping areas and can be no more than 14 days in any single visitation. Camping fees are $10 per night/camp site and are limited to 6 persons per camp site. Fees are collected at main parking lot iron ranger.

Group camping is allowed at Ridge Camp, but is subject to fees, and reservations are required. Please contact the forest office at 707-928-4378.

General Occupancy by the same persons, equipment, or vehicles of any camping facility is limited to a total of 30 days in any calendar year in that state forest. Individual campsites may not be reserved.

Campers, picnickers and other recreational users may gather dead wood lying on the ground for use within the state forest.



For more information, call the California Department of Fish and Game (DFG) Wildlife hotline is 707-944-5531.

The regulations and wildlife areas can be found on the DFG website.

Care must be taken – there are public roads, trails or areas within 150 yards in any direction from all but a very few remote locations within the forest.

It is unlawful for any person, other than the owner, person in possession of the premises, or a person having the express permission of the owner or person in possession of the premises, to hunt or to discharge while hunting, any firearm or other deadly weapon within 150 yards of any occupied dwelling house, residence, or other building or any barn or other outbuilding used in connection therewith. The 150-yard area is a “safety zone.” (CA Fish & Game Code §3004.)

It is always unlawful to: Place on, or carry or possess a loaded riffle or shotgun in a vehicle or conveyance or its attachments on any public road or other way open to the public; Hunt while intoxicated; Shoot at any game bird from a powerboat, sailboat, motor vehicle, or aircraft while under power or still moving from use of sail or motor (Section 251); Shoot any firearm from or upon a public road or highway. (CA Penal Code §374(c))

2012 Hunting Dates at Boggs Mountain

Minor Forest Products
The Department currently offers the public and private commercial interests the opportunity to purchase minor forest products, subject to specific rules and constraints. At present, permits can be purchased for collection of products including salvage sawlogs, poles, split products, greenery (e.g. boughs, shrubs, and ferns), rocks, and firewood. Class I sale permits are issued for the collection of these minor forest products.

Firewood permits are available from the State Forest from April 1 to October 31. Firewood collection permits can be purchased for personal and commercial purposes after payment of a fee. Commercial producers are responsible for payment of all applicable taxes. Firewood collection is permitted on the entire ownership and is generally subject to constraints such as dead and down material only, no off-road driving, and weather conditions. Campers, picnickers and other recreational users may gather dead wood lying on the ground for use within the state forest.

No person shall remove firewood or other forest products from any state forests without the written consent of the state forest manager. CA Code of Regulations § 1415. Firewood

Permits to collect greenery are available to the public. Very little of this activity occurs as a general rule, but a few permits are issued every year. In recent years, permits have been issued for the collection of dogwood boughs and flowers. Payment varies by product, being either on a volume basis or an item basis.

Rock collection permits may be purchased for personal use. Collection volume is limited primarily through price.

Poles and Split Products
Permits may be purchased for collection and manufacture of poles and split products. Payment is made on an item or volume basis, and the purchaser is responsible for payment of all applicable taxes.